Friday, February 12, 2010

First days in Lismore...

On Thursday, I finally flew back to Brisbane and took a three hour bus ride down to Lismore, the city in which i'm staying for the next four months. It really was nothing what I expected. The campus is on a hill, and our views from our dorms are incredible. Just tons of amazing scenery. Like everywhere in this country. My dorm has six people living in it, including me. The first night I was all alone so my friend Gretchen came and slept in the room next to me, because we were feeling a little homesick and scared for the new place where we would be living. I unpacked everything so it made my room feel more like home, but still it's not there yet. My bed is nothing like back home. It's a twin. With a little fleece blanket. But seriously I don't even use a blanket it's way to hott. There is no air conditioning either by the way. The first night here we just wandered around campus, meeting new people and the Australians. They are really fun people so i'm excited to see how this semester goes. I live in the biggest college (or dorms, they call them colleges here) that the campus has, it's called Orion. It has a swimming pool in the front that overlooks the amazing view of the mountain, and has a rec center with games and laundry room, etc. There is like 22 buildings for my college. It's crazy. But yet the campus is so incredibly small, I think only 4000 students. The second day here we just went downtown to shop at the second hands stores. Not my first pick, but money is too important now. I got a pot, plates, cups, spoons for only three dollars. Can't beat that. haha. We also had a huge bbq that the college put on for us. It was just a sausage with bread. AND COKE! yes pop! I was excited. Everyone here is very friendly and love meeting Americans. They think some of the things we say are just ridiculous. For instance, they don't understand what budging in line means. I encountered that today haha. Or they hate when Americans abbreviate everything like OMG or BRB! So it's going to be hard getting used to that's for sure. I was excited today because Brooke and Kirstin finally arrived! I was shopping in the grocery store at the mall and all of a sudden I see two girls that looked familiar and I look over and there they were! I dropped all my stuff and ran to them. I can't even begin to describe how happy I was to see some familiar faces, especially those two! I'm hoping this semester will be amazing for all of us and we'll have the time of our lives. Right now it's just really hard to comprehend that we are actually living in Australia, and getting the fact that we are homesick out of our heads. I miss everyone so much already, and i'm going to try my best to stay in contact with everyone back home. I need to get some sleep though, Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment